2023 County Fair August 2-6
Share Your Talents. Earn Ribbons and Premiums!
Jr. Holstein Association
You’re invited to exhibit at the Fair if you are:
a YOUTH enrolled in a Winnebago County Youth Organization (4-H, FFA, Scouts, Breed Association, etc)
Not just for kids!
ADULT residents of Winnebago County can show in Open Class
Cost to enter is just $0.50 per item for youth and $0.75 for adults. Win premium money based on your placing (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th).
Entry Deadline: 11:59pm on Sunday June 25, 2023
Adult Exhibitors (Open Class)
All exhibitors must be residents of Winnebago County, 18 years old and CANNOT be an exhibitor in the Junior Fair.
Questions? Contact Kim (Open Class Superintendent) at firstname.lastname@example.org
Youth Exhibitors (Junior Class)
All youth must have been enrolled in a youth organization by January 31, 2023 to be eligible to exhibit at this year’s fair. New in 2022: The Youth Organization Coordinator must complete an application/annual renewal for their organization to participate in fair (see bottom of page for more info).
2023 JUNIOR Rules & Premiums
- Junior RULES & Judging Times
- Junior Class Judging & Show Times (see Junior Rules above)
- Junior BARN ANIMAL Premium Book
- Junior EXPO BUILDING Premium Book (non-animal & small house pets)
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com or 920-685-3013 and your question will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
What’s New for Junior Class in 2023:
- Swine Exhibitors: Swine Show is Terminal again this year.
- Meat Animal (Swine, Sheep & Beef): At Check-in we will be doing ultrasounds of animals in conjunctions with the Meat Animal Board. Swine will be completed first. ALL SWINE MUST BE on grounds by 2:00pm on Tuesday, August 1. See Fair Rules/Premium Book for complete list of ultrasound times.
- Cultural Arts, Theatre & Performance Exhibitors: Department 18 Cultural Arts has been completely re-vamped and updated for 2023. There are many new options for things to show at Fair. We’ve kept a lot of your old favorites – if you need help finding something, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 920-685-3013.
- 4-H Cloverbuds & Explorers: There was a change in State Legislative Code that governs County Fair in Wisconsin which added an AGE LIMIT to Department 17, which means this department no longer aligns directly to the 4-H Cloverbud and Exploring Projects. Please see this letter sent to 4-H families on 6/5/2023 for all the details.
- Cats & Small Animals (house pets) Judging will be held on Monday, July 31 this year due to judge availability:
- Department 10, Division B (Small Animals, Reptiles, Birds & Other Pets): Monday at approximately 3:00pm (following the Model Horse Show)
- Department 13 Cats: Monday at approximately 4:00pm (following the Small Animals, birds and other house pets)
More Exhibitor Information:
• I signed up to exhibit, now what?
- See your Fair Premium Book for
- Fair Rules
- Judging Times
- Information about tagging/identifying your exhibit prior to judging
- Release of exhibits (picking up your exhibits) on Sunday August 6
- Pre-fair Judging of non-animal exhibits in the Expo Building happens MONDAY July 31 and TUESDAY August 1.
- Barn Animal check-in is TUESDAY August 1. Make sure you know what paperwork you need to bring with your animals. Animal exhibitors will also need to participate in Pen/Stall set-up and Safety Meetings prior to Fair.
- Check out our “Fair Ticket Tips for Exhibitors” for help deciding what passes/tickets are needed for your family, friends and guests.
- Weekly Fair Pass Information:
- Weekly Fair Passes for Youth Exhibitors are $6. Contact your club/chapter leader for more info.
- Weekly Passes/Fair Memberships for adults/non-exhibitors are available for $30 until July 15 and $35 after that.
- Exhibitors coming to pick up their exhibits Sunday August 6 may enter free after 4pm by showing their CLAIM CHECK/EXHIBIT REPORT at the Gate (which is also needed to claim your exhibits).
• Fair Ticket Tips for Exhibitors
Who Needs to Buy Fair Passes/Tickets? You do!
Anyone wishing to enter the fairgrounds Wednesday August 2 – Sunday, August 6 between the hours of 9:00am and 10:00pm must have a pass/ticket/wristband. This includes exhibitors, parents, grandparents, youth organizational leaders, etc. for judging, supporting youth, food court workers, barn duty, expo monitors, etc.
• Group Ticket Order Forms
• Barn Cards
Barn cards are used to identify your animal in the barn during the fair. Printed barn cards will be made available for pick-up by the Fair Association this summer. You may also print your own barn cards in color on white cardstock.
• “Small Fry in Training” Dairy/Beef Showmanship
• Camping Information
Attention 2023 County Fair Campers:
Camping Site payments can be made on SUNDAY, JULY 30 from 10:00am-1:00pm at the Fair Office in the Exposition Building.
Reminder – Campers also need to have a Membership/Weekly Pass or Youth Exhibitor Band.
Camping Questions? Contact Steve Stark at 920-420-5003.
Outstanding Exhibitor – Dairy, Beef, Sheep, Swine
Any Junior Fair exhibitor who shows dairy, beef, sheep or swine and is in grades 9-13 as of January 1st may apply for the Outstanding Youth Exhibitor Award. The award will recognize youth who have shown exceptional involvement in their project throughout the year and will be presented at this year’s Winnebago County Fair. Two award winners will be named, one for each category: grades 9-10-11 ($40) and grades 12-13 ($40). Previous winners in the same age category not eligible consecutive years.
Any exhibitor who wishes to apply for the “Outstanding Youth Exhibitor” must submit an application with their project accomplishments since July 2021. See application for more details. Deadline is July 18.
Food Preservation Exhibitors
It is important to prepare safe & healthy foods, especially when preserving food to be stored. To help promote food safety and proper preparation of preserved food, we ask that you use current USDA or Extension resources for your recipes, and properly label your fair exhibit using the tags provided below.
- Exhibits with incomplete or missing labels, automatically become ineligible for awards and premiums.
- The food preservation judge will be using the most current guidelines for food processing. Make sure you have used a current reference and are able to identify your references for the judge.
Food Preservation Labels (Open & Junior Class)
- Food Preservation CANNING LABELS
- Food Preservation DRY FOOD LABELS
- Don’t forget to review the Premium Book (above) for a complete listing of Food Preservation Rules
Food Preservation Resources
- Safe & Healthy: Preserving Food at Home (Extension): https://fyi.uwex.edu/safepreserving/
- Learning Store: https://learningstore.uwex.edu/Food-Preservation-and-Safety-C60.aspx
- National Center for Home Food Preservation: http://nchfp.uga.edu/
NEW! Youth Organization Application & Annual Renewal Form
The purpose of the Winnebago County JUNIOR FAIR is to showcase the educational programs of Winnebago County’s youth organizations through exhibits youth complete as a member of their organization. The County Fair experience helps reinforce youth’s education and provide opportunity for reflection through interaction with judges, peers and the public.
Youth organizations must have adult leadership and an ongoing educational program that aligns with at least one of the County Fair Departments. Organizations must have been in operation with active youth membership for one year prior to applying to the County Fair.
- refer to WI Legislative Code: Chapter ATCP 160: https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/code/admin_code/atcp/140/160/Title
- refer to Winnebago County Fair Rules & Premium Book: https://winnebagocountyfaironline.com/exhibitors/
This form is due annually from all participating organizations, by February 15 of the current fair year.
(2022 timelines will be extended based on when new youth organization application becomes available)
This application must be submitted by the Adult Advisor who is in charge of approving adult leadership and youth membership for the organization. For state-wide or national organizations this may be a county-wide, regional or state leader. (For example in the 4-H program, one application should be submitted by the county 4-H Educator – individual 4-H Clubs or Projects do not need to submit individual applications).
- Please submit to Winnebago County Fair, 2892 Ruschfield Dr, Oshkosh, WI 54904
- Or email to email@example.com